Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Lots to Discuss...
First and foremost, we have lost a cherished member from Mark's side. Grandpa Ballentine, known to the rest of the world as John William Ballentine, died early Saturday July 25th 2009. He was born February 11, 1923. Married Mayme in May of 1946 (wow!) and had four sons with lots of grandbabies running around. I learned he was a staff sargent in the Army in WWII, loved to play with his ham radios, and played a mean guitar. However, this is how I've always seen him.

He was soft spoken and sweet and always had this great smile on his face. By far one of the cutest grandpas ever.
Here are some photos from grandma and grandpa's house after the funeral. And yes some are taken by Aidan, of course.





On to happier news....
John has bought a house!!!
It's very cute inside and just the right size for him. I think he's still in a little shock but what a day!


The latest baby blanket finished. I wanted to try something a little new. I started with the idea of hotair balloons. I cut out three different sizes and then laid them out on white. I changed my mind about which white fabric I used. I ended up using one with little circles that overlapped. It made me think of bubbles and that was better than flowers for the sky.

Then I decided to put batting behind the balloons so they'd be puffy looking. Plus you can see the circles on the background fabric in this shot. I then attached the balloons the the fabric using matching thread for each one and sandwiched the front, back, and batting together for the quilting. I went with a couple random clouds and then quilted a rippling copy of the clouds out across the background but not on the balloons. Lastly, I went back and attached baskets to the balloons and put on the binding. I LOVE how it turned out!!!

Here's the backing fabric. It's such a pretty color and super soft too.

Here's a cloud.

The whole thing. Sorry this picture is turned. Still, I LOVE it!!!

This balloons quilt is for Angela and her sweet baby girl who's due in October. They've settled on the name Lola! Awesome name! I can't think of a more fitting name for Ang's baby or a better baby to get my balloon quilt. I hope Lola loves it as much as me! Here's a picture of Angela's shower. There were five babies there and they just happened to all be girls! How funny!

This is just a strange add-on that I noticed. While finishing the balloon quilt, I was sitting on the floor and noticed that some of the random thread that ends up on the floor spelled out AMY or ANY. I'm not sure which one but it's in cursive and that's a better A than I can make. I thought that was weird enough to make the blog. It was about an inch long.

The next project... I'm redoing the couch... More to come!

2 Comments:

Blogger Larimer said...

Sorry about your loss! Grandpa's are the BEST!
And I am utterly impressed with quilting. I can't believe you get anything in with 3 kids. especially not an awesome quilt like that.

4:47 PM  
Blogger Reg said...

Thanks I was feeling pretty proud of that quilt! Some days are more interesting than others getting stuff done!

7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home